Address: 232 Princess Street Map
Status: Completed 2009
Cost: $4 m
Size: 4 storeys, 43 apartments
The Frost and Wood Warehouse, designed by James Cadham, was custom built for the Ontario-based farm implements company in 1906. By the end of the decade another Ontario-based implements manufacturer, Cockshutt Plow Company, took over Frost and Wood. Conveniently, the two companies were next door neighbours on Princess Street !
By the 1940's Cockshutt was gone and 230 Princess housed a number of businesses over the decades. In 1979 Williams Restaurant Supply, (Williams-Cassidy, Cassidy's), occupied the space until 2000 when the company, which was Canada's third oldest operating company behind HBC and Molson's, closed down.
After sitting vacant for a number of years the partnership of Mark and Rick Hofer (owners) and Colin Neufeld (5468796 Architects) took over the property, gutted it and by August 2009 began renting out the 43 loft-style apartments. The major main floor retail tenant is Jeld-Wen Windows.
That partnership won a 2010 Heritage Winnipeg Award for their work and have now moved onto the conversion of the Avenue Building on Portage.
Loft-style apartments up for grabs in Exchange WFP Jun 8 '08
230 Princess Street U of M Building Index
Frost and Wood Warehouse Historic Buildings Committee