Sunday, April 22, 2012

203 Kennedy Street - Ingram and Bell Block

Ingram and Bell Building

Place: Ingram and Bell Block
201 - 203 Kennedy Street (Map)
Opened: 1949

ca. 1950s (source)

Ingram and Bell (now known as Source Medical) was a Toronto-based national pharmaceutical and medical supply company that sold everything from drugs to prosthetic limbs and medical machinery. They first opened a branch in Winnipeg in 1927 and served physicians, clinics and hospitals across Manitoba, Northwest Ontario and parts of Saskatchewan.

In 1949 they opened in their new location at 201-203 Kennedy Street. The main floor contained a showroom, warehouse and machine repair centre while the upstairs housed their sales office. Additional office space was rented by the Singer Sewing Machine Company and the provincial government.

 January 21, 1977, Winnipeg Free Press

Around 1970 Ingram and Bell moved out. The building then became home to Gary Brown's Business Furnishings Limited / Quill Stationery. The Manitoba Medical Association took up the second floor offices.

 November 2, 1983, Winnipeg Free Press

In 1979 Business Furnishings moved and the building began life as a restaurant.

Hampton's of Hollywood, owned by the Guberman group who also owned the Original Pancake House, opened in 1980. It lasted just a couple of years.

 December 30, 2003, Winnipeg Free Press

In November 1983 it became Canada's first franchise of the U.S.-based chain Tony Roma's. They spent 20 years there, relocating to St. James Street in January 2004. It then became the short-lived Rodem Tree then Pappa Luci's Italian Restaurant until 2006.

Ingram and Bell Building

In early 2012 the owners began a $600,000 renovation project to convert the entire  building back to office space.

For a Half Century - Ingram and Bell

From Eateries to Office Space Free Press (May 2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment