Manitoba Free Press, June 10, 1905
The Argyle Land Company was created in 1905 by David R. Wood (president) and Lyon M. Metcalfe (secretary-treasurer). Other Metcalfe brothers, including Charles and Sydney, were involved in the company's early years. The firm was first located in the Baker (Birt Saddlery) Block on Main Street.
Argyle's first project was selling a subdivision called Argyle Gardens near present day Stratchcona Street and Portage Avenue in the West End. In years to come they sold an extension to Argyle Gardens and another subdivision in the same area called Glengarry Park.
Manitoba Free Press, April 16, 1909
Argyle continued on with their business, mostly selling land in new subdivisions, until the end of 1911 when it appears that they hit a bad patch.
Manitoba Free Press, May 27, 1912
A frequent newspaper advertiser, their ads suddenly stop in December 1911. The next time Argyle Land Co. appeared in newspapers was in May 1912 with the tragic news that their clerk, Lawrence Duffy (37), had committed suicide by swallowing poison. A Free Press story quotes a source that it was Duffy's second attempt that year.
Two days after the suicide, Argyle Land Co. was again in the news. This time it was the announcement that a consortium had bought the lot adjacent to the Argyle Block for the construction of the Lindsay Building. This was a busy period for the intersection of Albert and Notre Dame. In just over a year it went from being remarkably underdeveloped, still sporting numerous single-storey wooden structures, into a thriving corner featuring the Electric Railway Chambers, Lindsay Building and St. Charles Hotel.
In 1914 the Argyle Land Company began advertising again but there were no more large development schemes. Later that year they sold the Argyle Block (likely to Frank Lindsay) and relocated to an office in the nearby McIntyre Block. In 1916 the Argyle Land Company disappears.
Manitoba Free Press, July 30, 1920
On the night of July 29, 1920 the Argyle Block was the scene of a tragic fire that injured three firemen and took the life of a well-known sportsman.
W. A. Carson, once considered one of the best curlers in the world, was the proprietor of Princess Billiards which can be seen to the right in this photo. Though his glory years were behind him, he still skipped a team at the Thistle Curling Club and travelled to competitions around North America. His Manitoba Curling Hall of Fame entry reads:
W.A.(Bill) Carson curled out of the Thistle Curling Club in Winnipeg. In the 22-year period, between 1894 and 1915, he skipped teams which won nine trophies in the Manitoba Curling Association Bonspiel. Mr. Carson was also a president and honourary life member of the Manitoba Curling Association. (Source)
The fire broke out in the basement underneath the pool hall and destroyed the pool hall and a tobacco shop on the first floor. When firefighters searched the rubble they found Carson's body in the basement. There was speculation that he may have started the fire through careless smoking but the official ruling was that no cause could be found.
In 1923 the Argyle and neighbouring Oxford Hotel were sold by Frank Lindsay to James Richardson, of the grain family, for $200,000. I can't find references to subsequent owners of the property.
From that time forward the Argyle Block had a quiet life.
The Notre Dame Avenue storefront had a definite arts theme. Myers Gallery, a commercial photo studio, was located there from about 1923 to the mid sixties. Then in became the Birch Gallery until 1984. After a brief stint as a shoe outlet, since 1993 it has been home to the Concourse Gallery.
The Garry Street storefront, which had a retail space and was the address for the entrance to the large hall area, was more varied. The longest serving tenant was the office and hall for the Guards' Association of Canada, an early Veterans' Association, from 1923 until the mid 1940s. It was also home to: Thistle Renovation Company (1910s); Princess Pool Hall (1910s - 23); Shaw Typewriter Sales 1920s; Cotter Bros. Plumbing and Heating (early 1930s); Harry Greenberg – Tailor (late 1930s); Palay Custom Tailor (1940s’ – early 1950s). For the past few years it has been home to an African / Caribbean grocer.
The Argyle Block (Overview) Historic Buildings Committee
The Argyle Block Heritage Winnipeg