Above: Google Maps
Place: Former Dominion Tar and Chemical Warehouse
Address: 563 rue Messier
Built: by 1930 and by 1959 (?)
June 22, 1912, Winnipeg Tribune
The Dominion Tar and Chemical Company (now known as Domtar) was formed in England in 1848. In 1903 it set up shop in Canada to process the tar products from a Sydney, Nova Scotia coal and steel mine. It came to Manitoba in 1911 after being awarded a ten-year contract by the CPR to creosote two-million railway ties per year. It set up a creosote manufacturing plant on a 110 acre site in North Transcona.
In summer 1923 the company looked at properties in St. Boniface on which to build a new $250,000 chemical manufacturing and tar distilling plant. Initially a site on Dawson Road was chosen but the company found that it would be too costly to bring in the rail access they required.
Attention then turned to this site on rue Messier. It had ben owned by the City of St. Boniface for a number of years due to non-payment of taxes and was located adjacent to the CPR line that runs to Emerson.
Some expressed concerns that it may be situated too close to St. Boniface Hospital, that the odours would impact recovering patients. That debate appearsto have been short lived as the city wanted to sell.
In December 1923 company president Sir Harold Boulton toured the proposed site (which included land on both side of Messier) then signed a $4,000 purchase agreement with the city.
July 25, 1925, Winnipeg Tribune
It's difficult to piece together the development of the site, though it appears to have been a scaled-down version of what Dominion Tar first envisioned. This could have been due to the hospital concerns or the fact that the company was continually buying up smaller companies which may have negated the need for certain new facilities.
Through 1924 it appears that the site contained just a warehouse and some storage tanks. In July 1925 permits were taken out for a $28,000 plant to manufacture tar paper.
October 3, 1929, Manitoba Free Press
By October 1929 the company was advertizing coal coke "made in St. Boniface", which meant that a manufacturing plant with an oven was present. The address in the ad is across the street from the building pictured above. It may be that the company separated its plant and warehouse spaces in case of fire - a lesson learned after a massive blaze at their Transcona site in 1913.
On August 9, 1930 a small story in the Winnipeg Tribune says that “Construction work on the new Winnipeg coal tar and asphalt roofing plant of Dominion Tar is making rapid process.”
December 8, 1962, Winnipeg Free Press
In 1929 a Canadian company, also called Dominion Tar and Chemical Company, headquartered in Montreal, was created to take over the assets of the British company. Over the next three decades it grew into a national powerhouse involved in a range of sectors, from its traditional chemical business to pulp and paper and building materials. Much of this was done through the acquisition of existing companies.
In Winnipeg it was Dominion Tar's building materials division had the largest footprint.
In 1954 it purchased Brantford Roofing Ltd. of Brantford, Ontario, manufacturers of roofing materials such as sheathing and shingles. They also purchased Alexander Murray Ltd. of Toronto which owned a Winnipeg-based shingle manufacturer called Canada Roof Products.
In the late 1950s the two companies were merged into Murray - Brantford Ltd.. It had a sales office in Transcona, likely at the parent company's main office, and the rue Messier property became their warehouse.
ca. 1959 (Source: Manitoba Historical Maps)
The above 1959 map shows the layout of the site, which is much how it looks today.
It is likely that at least a portion of the long, steel-clad building along the tracks dates back to the original 1925 - 30 build and added to over time. The wooden yard office may be as late as 1959 as that is the year that its address first appears in the Henderson Directory.
May 4, 1963, Winnipeg Free Press
Dominion Tar's continued acquisition of companies through the 1950s provided it with a vast, national network of over 50 plants and 40 warehouses in 47 cities across Canada, (source). Through the 1960s it merged this network into a single company that in 1965 was renamed Domtar Ltd, then simply Domtar in 1977.
During this period, one of the company's new, major properties in Winnipeg was a gypsum plant and adjacent property at 1405 Sargent Avenue at St. James Street. In 1962 the rue Messier warehouse site was moved to Sargent Avenue and the property was put up for sale. It remained vacant until at least 1966.
It is now home to Magnet Machinery Ltd., a steel recycling company.
July 13, 1981, Winnipeg Free Press
The rue Messier site is not listed as a contaminated site.
Domtar History Domtar Inc.
Dominion Tar and Chemical Company Canadian Register (1959)
Past sins haunt St. B Winnipeg Free Press