Thursday, July 24, 2014

732 Ellice Avenue - Wesley Chapel

Hungarian United Church
Place: Wesley Chapel
Address: 732 Ellice Avenue
Opened: October 4, 1952
Architect: Unknown

October 4, 1952, Winnipeg Free Press

Wesley Chapel, a Methodist congregation, was located on this site since the late 1940s. In April 1951, under the leadership of Rev. Murdo Campbell, they began construction on this larger, $25,000 stucco church next to their original one. It was dedicated on October 4, 1952 and served as Wesley Chapel until 1968.

November 25, 1961, Winnipeg Free Press

In 1970 it became the Hungarian United Church. Originally formed in Winnipeg as the Hungarian Reformed Church in 1906, reorganized as United in 1927, it called a number of locations home over the decades.

Spurred by a huge growth in the city’s Hungarian population after that country's 1956 uprising, they purchased land at Brandon Avenue and Nassua Street and in 1961 opened what they thought would be a long-term home. That property was expropriated by the city in 1968 as part of the metro Transit bus garage and offices.

The congregation used space at the Rosedale United Church on Beresford Avenue until they purchased this building in 1970. It served as not only home of the church but the Hungarian Folklorama Pavilion until the early 1990s.

In summer 2014 the United Church sold the building to a congregation of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church. They began renovations in July 2014.

Interior prior to sale (Century 21)

July 2014 renos in progress

Hungarian United Church fonds
Hungarian United Church

No comments:

Post a Comment