Tuesday, July 13, 2021

455 Lipton Street - Private dwelling

 © 2021, Christian Cassidy

Place: Private dwelling
455 Lipton Street (map)

The house at 455 Lipton Street will soon be torn down. Its 50-foot lot will be subdivided so that two new houses can be built.

According to city assessment records, the building permit for this two-storey, 2,156 square foot house was issued in 1906. This is early for this area as the street likely wasn’t properly subdivided by the city to add proper lot lines, boulevards, sidewalks and sewer lines, until closer to 1910.

This block of Lipton Street between St. Matthews and Ellice took longer than the rest of the street to develop. There were just five houses listed on both sides until 1908.

This address does not appear in street directories until the 1910 edition, which would have been compiled in late 1909. This doesn’t mean that the 1906 date of the building permit is incorrect. The fact that it has a double size lot, 50 foot wide instead of the 25 foot wide for the rest of the block, suggests it may have been built before subdivision took place an may have been renumbered or moved.

1916 Census of Canada, Library and Archives Canada

The first owner listed in street directories is Horatio Daniels, a bartender at Inter-Ocean Hotel, and his wife, Jessie. They would go on to have two daughters here in 1911 and 1915. 

The Daniels also rented out a couple of suites. In 1910, their lodgers were Samuel Quinn, a plumber, and Annie Blurton, a bookbinder.  A couple of years later, Quinn was still there and also working as a bartender at the Inter Ocean Hotel. The other lodger was Stephen Tyrrell, a waiter at the same hotel.

Inter Ocean Hotel under red arrow. (McInnis Postcard Collection)

The Inter Ocean Hotel, located near Lombard Avenue, was one of the jumble of dozens of hotels along Main Street. It as short lived, opening in 1905 and shutting down in 1913 when a neighbouring bank took it over to expand their headquarters.  

Daniels ended up becoming assistant manager of the St. Charles Hotel and by 1917 was manager of the cafe at the St. Regis Hotel.

By 1918, the Daniels family had moved to Empress Street. Horatio would go on to have a long career at Shea’s Brewery.

April 9, 1919, Winnipeg Free Press

The next family to call 455 Lipton home were the Robertsons. George worked for the city's streetcar company.

To give an idea of what homeowners may have used all that extra property for, Mrs. Robertson took out classified ads selling Wyandotte chicken eggs and cocks.

1926 Census of Canada, Library and Archives Canada

Around 1924, the Robertsons left and the McQuade and family moved in. David McQuade was vice president of the T. R. Dunn Lumber Company.

The McQuades had at least three daughters. Evelyn married in 1939. When Shirley married in 1951, a tea was held for her at the house. Leigh Joan Horricks, a daughter of Mrs. McQuade from a  previous marriage, was wed in a candlelight ceremony at the home in May 1952.

The Maple Leaf, Belgian Edition, January 12, 1945

The McQuades took in lodgers during World War II. One of them, Evelyn Graw, gave birth to a daughter in April 1944 while her husband, Captain Walter Graw, was serving overseas.

Walter Graw worked for the YMCA and signed up for the YMCA's War Services Program. War Services catered to the cultural and recreations needs of soldiers, from operating lending libraries to providing exercise classes. Graw signed up in 1942 and served in Winnipeg and Carberry. He was one of 12 YMCA men who arrived in France in July 1944.

It appears that Graw survived the war and was able to return home to see his daughter.

Odds and ends for 455 Lipton:

December 21, 1937, Winnipeg Tribune

May 29, 1952, Winnipeg Free Press

June 20, 1972, Winnipeg Free Press

No comments:

Post a Comment